Cura 2.1 open beta

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Re: Cura 2.1 open beta

Post by nilrog »

Afaik, it still supports that. But they don't want to create the empty folder for it. So you have to do it yourself.
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

Which is my question basically: which folder and where ;)

Edit -- Looking at the source it seems that it only looks in the software tree...
Let's wait on nallath's confirmation
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

On Mac with the current beta it is, currently, ~/.cura/

In the UM forum thread they have listed where this folder is for all the different OS platforms.

So if you create a "plugins" folder there, drop a plugin there and restart Cura the plugin should show up. I tried it on one of the private betas and it worked.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

If it is there, that will be a mess because it is where legacy cura plugins are
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Ok, that's bad if that is the case. You know more about the legacy versions than me.

But afaik, on the Mac the legacy Cura had their folders in the proper Mac location, and separated by version (~/Library/Application Support/Cura/15.X.Y/).

I wrote a ticket on Github about that and they said they were going to move it, but not in 2.1 :-(
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

I am still running 14.07 :oops: (because of the perimeter stuff...)
And this is still ~/.cura -- but you might be right about more recent versions.
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Aha, sounds like this might be a more serious issue then than just having the folder in the "wrong" place.
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

2.1 won't have any drastic / major changes (we want it to be stable above all. We learned from 15.06 ;))

I honestly have no idea how it works with OSX. It's the OS I avoid like the plague as it seems to have an undying hatred of developers.
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Well, the last case is not OSX specific if you are reusing the settings folder for the old legacy Cura ;)

OSX, in this sense, is no worse than Windows. And there you went to great lengths to put it's settings in a different location than "~/.cura/".

PS: OSX is not bad...it's the Mac App store stuff that is bad ;) DS.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

nallath wrote:2.1 won't have any drastic / major changes (we want it to be stable above all. We learned from 15.06 ;))
Which is a wise decision -- I would definitely adopt 2.x if we have parity in term of functionality with my old 14.07
From what I can see and your answers we are nearly there -- performance might be an issue for my old hardware, but apart from that it looks good.
nallath wrote:I honestly have no idea how it works with OSX. It's the OS I avoid like the plague as it seems to have an undying hatred of developers
It is clear that you (Ultimaker dev team) don't like it, but you should think about crossing the bridge. Mac user base for Cura is not small (25-30% in the last numbers are saw, but you know better than I do) -- and you will never have a good product running on a particular OS if you don't develop on it. Using a cross-platform framework and hope it will work everywhere is a bit of utopia...

My personal background is Unix, and I am running OSX because that was the closest I could find being able to run commercial products not available on Linux. Apart from that I am definitely not an Apple 'fan-boy'...

Now to come back on this question, which is not port specific...
Amedee wrote:Which is my question basically: which folder and where ;)
Edit -- Looking at the source it seems that it only looks in the software tree...
Let's wait on nallath's confirmation
... as you own that part of the code, can you confirm it only looks in the software tree, not in any user directory ?

Thanks for your help and patience ;)
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

nallath wrote:I honestly have no idea how it works with OSX. It's the OS I avoid like the plague as it seems to have an undying hatred of developers
Nallath, as a ios developer that I was for two years try to avoid writing this stuff on internet. I know for a fact that some company have lost their of publising ios/osx rights just for even less specially if you ever try to pull a emergency/update online (the ones that you can do 2-3 times max. Specially now that Ultimaker sells on apple shop and has an app. Just my 5cents, apple hate bad comments... I can say this because I won't renew my dev license this next summer XD
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

We don't have a dev licence with apple (We're still an untrusted source ;)) This is also my personal account, but I do get the point (It's a bit weird how all of this work, as I both worked on Cura/Uranium as a employee of Ultimaker and on a personal note). My frustration is based on our very bad experience with the old Cura (and getting the damn thing to build on OSX).

We do try to get support for the apple stuff (as we're well aware that a lot of people use it). I just made the statement that I don't know how we handle it, as I avoid having to work with apple products as much as possible. I haven't been the only dev on Cura in a loong time now.

Getting back to the question at hand: I think you can put the scripts inside the package if you open it. I do "own" that bit of code, but i don't handle where it actually gets it data from (It simply checks for the location of the plugin and uses the nested scripts folder). So there should be a plugins/PostProcessingPlugin/scripts folder somewhere.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

nallath wrote: Getting back to the question at hand: I think you can put the scripts inside the package if you open it. I do "own" that bit of code, but i don't handle where it actually gets it data from (It simply checks for the location of the plugin and uses the nested scripts folder). So there should be a plugins/PostProcessingPlugin/scripts folder somewhere.
Yes, no prob -- I know where the package folder is and I can do that. Maybe add an enhancement request to search as well in a user-defined directory, like legacy Cura is doing, so when you upgrade from a version to another you don't 'loose' your plugins (I mean scripts in the new Cura).
If you look for scripts only where the plugins is, then obviously it will be in the software directory, unless one moves the PostProcessingPlugin plugin.
Last edited by Amedee on April 18th, 2016, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

Good one. I'll add it to our tracker.
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

When I save the g-code, Cure 2.1 adds a "UM2_" to the name of the g-code file. Is there a way to disable this? It is wasting three characters in the printer display - which unfortunately does not scroll left and right if a file name is longer - and seems to not provide any real value.

Return to “Cura”