Why did Cura change my thread size?

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
mlitzkow
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Creality Ender 4

Why did Cura change my thread size?

Post by mlitzkow »

I am a newbie to Cura and 3d printing in general. I modeled a 16mm x 2mm pitch metric threaded nut and bolt in Fusion 360. The STL file exported from Fusion looks good. The image inside Cura looks good. However, the printer parts are 16mm threaded bolt and a nut with the same size as the bolt head, but the thread is 6mm x 2mm pitch. The size of the threaded hole in the nut is so much smaller than the bolt that you have to laugh when you see the two parts together. I examined the files with a gcode visualizer and an STL file visualizer. Clearly the STL file looks right and the gcode file is wrong. Note that even inside Cura, the image looks right. My question is how could that happen, and how can I fix it? I'm using Cura 3.6.0. Many thanks for any insight on this issue.
mlitzkow
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Creality Ender 4

Re: Why did Cura change my thread size?

Post by mlitzkow »

Update: I had previously exported a single STL file from Fusion 360 which included both the nut and bolt. I tried exporting an STL file with only the nut to see if that might help. However, I get the same result. Cura changes my 16mm threaded hole to only 6mm. I also noticed that you can see the problem even in Cura. Both the Solid view and X-Ray view look correct, but when I try the Layer view, I can see that the size of the hole in the nut has been dramatically reduced. I hope one of you more experienced printers might have a suggestion on what I can do to avoid this problem.

Return to “Cura”