Anyone tried Proto-Pasta HTPLA Carbon Fibre V2.0?

New or specialty stuff? Let's talk!
VitalSparks
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2, Prusa i3

Anyone tried Proto-Pasta HTPLA Carbon Fibre V2.0?

Post by VitalSparks »

Read about it here

I have a 5metre sample on my desk here to try, and wondered if anyone had anything to say about it before I commit it all to an important test print.

If it works as it should, then my ABS-only days may be numbered. It promises higher working temperature and very much stiffer parts than ABS.
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Anyone tried Proto-Pasta HTPLA Carbon Fibre V2.0?

Post by Izzy »

I've not tried their Carbon fibre version but their normal HTPLA is nice to use, with just a small sample the normal nozzle shouldn't wear, but would be better if you had a Ruby.
VitalSparks
Reactions:

Post by VitalSparks »

Hi Izzy,

Well, here's the result of my first print using the new material. It is part of the latest version of the filament-release device that I have designed for my UM2 stock feeder, and the outcome is very disappointing.

Firstly, it would not stick to the glass using the Bostik Big Blue gluestick that nearly all other materials are very happy with. In the end I used the Pritt gel glue I have mentioned elsewhere. Secondly there was a fair amount of 'stringing', and lastly it did not have the super-stiffness that was promised by Proto-Pasta. In fact, if anything, it was less stiff than a similar ABS part. Then I tried a (moderate) bend test, with slightly more pressure than when feeling its stiffness, and this happened -

Needless to say, I was less than delighted - I thought that I had found a CF material that was going to be easy to use... :cry:

Just to be sure that there was not a problem with the Cura file (I just recently started using V2), or even the printer, I immediately printed the model from ABS, using the same file (just different temperatures). I was relieved to find all was OK, and I got the customary superb result. Here it is -

I know it looks as though there is a difference in Z-height between these images, but it must be because I was holding them at different angles.

I have tried breaking the ABS part with huge bending force, without any problem.

As they say, 'a picture is worth a thousand words'... I'm glad I didn't buy a whole reel of this stuff!
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

I have found with CF that although you can print at the lower end of the print range like a lot of materials they can lack interlayer bonding.
It's finding the sweet spot where you get the interlayer bonding, which is towards the upper end of the range, I'd try the upper end and see what that is like, if you on a UM2 do you have an Olson block if so try the ruby nozzle for CF's, you will need to add about 5'C to the nozzle temperature to compensate.
Formfutura have a very nice Nylon CF15,available from 3DFilaPrint, but it's only available in 1.75 at the moment, it gave a very nice print on the Wanhao.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Tom recently did a Filament Summary and found that with the exception of the Matterhacker nylon/carbon blend, they all performed very poorly.

My experience with ColorFabb's CF was much like Jeff's. Looks pretty, performs badly.
VitalSparks
Reactions:

Post by VitalSparks »

I have found with CF that although you can print at the lower end of the print range like a lot of materials they can lack interlayer bonding.
It's finding the sweet spot where you get the interlayer bonding, which is towards the upper end of the range, I'd try the upper end and see what that is like, if you on a UM2 do you have an Olson block if so try the ruby nozzle for CF's, you will need to add about 5'C to the nozzle temperature to compensate.
I printed it at 225degC (my hot-end is accurately calibrated), 0.4 steel nozzle, 65degC bed. Yes, I use an Olsson Block (excellent accessory - been using it 18months now, before UM2+ came out).

I read excellent reviews on Proto-Pasta website (I wonder if these are genuine?), together with a few very bad ones. When I get time, I may buy another 5M sample, and experiment a bit (like turning off the fan) - but I'm not holding my breath!

Return to “Speciality and Experimental Filaments”