Anyone using PETG herer?

New or specialty stuff? Let's talk!
danilius
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Anyone using PETG herer?

Post by danilius »

I bought a roll of the stuff and was massively impressed by its performance. It's as stiff as PLA (nice), as easy to print because it does not warp like ABS does, and it is way stronger than PLA or ABS.

I had some spare printed parts I allowed the kids to experiment with for destructive testing (that's what I'm calling it) and both they and I were gobsmacked at how much bending it would stand up to before finally giving up the ghost. We ebnt some parts well over 180 degrees backwards and forwards several times before it was easy enough to tear.

Weirdly though, two pieces simply snapped when we bent them, and they were printed in the same batch.
Frederik
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original plus

Re: Anyone using PETG herer?

Post by Frederik »

Pretty old thread, but anyway: I really like printing PETG. dasfilament.de is where I get mine from (Germany). There is significantly more shrinkage to it than PLA, but not nearly as bad as ABS.
Overall handling and print quality is very nice, but it needs more stickyness (lots of gluestick) on the heated glass plate of my UMO+ and first layer setup is more critical than with PLA.
PLA tends to really wash away the PTFE coupler of my hot-end and I hope this issue is somewhat less with PETG - though I can not confirm or deny it at this point, as I have not been printing that much lately.

In regard to printing usable parts, PETG seems to be pretty capable. ABS never was an option for me because of the toxic fumes.

Return to “Speciality and Experimental Filaments”