Preferred PLA filament in the UK

PLA that isn't any of the brands we have already made categories for? Talk about it here
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Preferred PLA filament in the UK

Post by LePaul »

I wonder why it does that so far into a print? I had a couple 8 hour prints that would have one small area that would have something like that.

I blamed it on a tangle, even though I unfurl the spool a good deal to make sure everything feed smoothly.

I also print at 218C with the ruby on mine
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

It was frustrating, I always print a test piece, a book mark worth my hub details on that they can use to test paint etc. And that was fine, and the first 2 hours were fine before I went to bed.
I had atomic pulled to clean the nozzle and the feeder was fine no dirt or dust, the reel is mounted on a Roberts bearing spindle with my dovetail adapter to use with my mounting system. And I'd checked that there was no stickyness or binding as the filament left the reel, so there shouldn't have been any problems.
That cost me 30 hours and half a reel of filament lost :-x
danilius
Reactions:

Post by danilius »

Ouch, painful. For bigger prints you might want to consider using 0.8mm or 1mm nozzles. They will allow you to print wider walls in one pass of course, but layer heights of 0.4mm to 0.5mm. This cuts down on printing in a huge way. Once you get used to using bigger nozzles, you can still get sliding and rotating parts to function really well, and achieving a good part fit is still possible, although it might need some filing or sanding especially on flat surfaces that have to mate perfectly.
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

You right I need to get to grips with the larger nozzles, I've got to grips with the very small nozzles, Carl is mentioning a 0.1mm nozzle as well, I may have to try that one too :-D
I will have to make a note of you recommendations for the 0.6 & 0.8mm nozzle settings.
I have a Bondtech feeder on order so I need to check where I can get & what settings I need to adjust on the UM2 and on Simplify3D. :lol:
danilius
Reactions:

Post by danilius »

The 0.1mm nozzle will make you cry.

I have Meduza's gearbox for the Robert's feeder, and it quite frankly has made a huge difference in power. I highly recommend trying that combination before shelling out for a Bondtech. Also, I changed the standard hobbed thingumajig to a Mark 8 one.

0.8mm nozzle gives you - for the same print speeds - a potential to quadruple printing times. Twice the width of a 0.4mm nozzle doubles things up already, and twice the layer height - 0.4mm layer heights - gives you twice the speed again. Well worth buying one just to try it out. Funny thing is you have to drop the temps, not increase them. Weird but true. For example, I would print ABS at 260C with a 0.4mm nozzle, but only at 240C with a 0.8mm. Some smart aleck will explain exactly why this is the case.
William
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): i have to many to meantion

Post by William »

my goto brand in the uk is 3DQF it really is quality at a great price most of there filament only costs 14.99

here is one me and my partner reviewed

https://www.inov3d.net/3dqf-anime-pink-review/

Return to “PLA Filament General Discussion”