Improved packaging from Colorfabb

PLA that isn't any of the brands we have already made categories for? Talk about it here
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Improved packaging from Colorfabb

Post by LePaul »

Just received some more Dutch Orange PLA/PHA from Colorfabb reseller PrintedSolid

I was impressed to see the much thicker plastic wrapping and desiccant inside
IMG_3418.JPG
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Re: Improved packaging from Colorfabb

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

Got some HT recently the same way. It actually could be topped by a resealable bag.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I thought it was at first...but just two, thick melt lines from the vacuum packing.

I save the packet and put the filament in plastic shopping bags when not in use.
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

I ordered a pack of sealing bags from eBay, Faberdashery supply all their filaments in the really big zip bags which are great. 8-)
That is untill my cat decides she wants some biscuits and will chomp on any plastic bags she can find until I give her some treats :-o :evil:
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

Yes, ColorFabb shifted to this style of packaging just recently, it is quite a step up from the older packaging!

I especially like the sticker on the roll, so you know for sure if it is colored XT or nGEN (not that easy to tell them apart when you have two of the same color)
danilius
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by danilius »

I bought some really cheap garbage ABS that was well packaged, sealed in plastic with a silica bag, but when I printed it bubbled up something horrible. It was like printing with a hard foam. So I microwaved it for 30 seconds at a time until I saw the reel starting to warp. Then I microwaved some silica beads until they were toasty hot, and allowed them to cool. Once that was ready both the filament and plastic were placed into a ziplock bag and allowed to mature over the weekend. Tried the stuff today, hey presto! Total transformation. Getting really clean prints now.

The moral of the story is that vacuum sealing and silica alone do not guarantee you dry plastic. If you leave sealed filament lying around in moist conditions, after a while that will seep through.
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

What about this theory: The manufacturer let the desiccant bags lying around in humid air and they got saturated before they were used with the filament. A saturated desiccant bag cannot keep the filament dry.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I've often wondered if there is a way to build a container around the in-use filament to reduce the change of humidity getting into it.
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

Where there's a will there's a way...

I used a plastic box for cereals for PVA when I printed it on my UMO. I put some desiccant bags into the box and made a hole into the cap. From there to the feeder I taped a plastic bag and put also a desiccant bag into it. The UMO feeder was strong enough to pull the PVA although there was no spool holder or similar inside the box.

Certainly there will be designs for printed anti-moisture cases around spools when printing with PVA gets more popular, e.g. with Foehnsturms setup.

Return to “PLA Filament General Discussion”