Revive a spool of brittle PLA - is it possible?

PLA that isn't any of the brands we have already made categories for? Talk about it here
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Revive a spool of brittle PLA - is it possible?

Post by reibuehl »

Hi all,

I have a nearly full spool of black PLA that is extremely brittle and snaps at the slightest touch. Is it possible to revive the material somehow? Or do I have to dump the full spool?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Revive a spool of brittle PLA - is it possible?

Post by Roberts_Clif »

If the PLA filament was stored dry, and becomes brittle due to crystal changes, warming it up for a day (at 50°C or so) should make it flexible again.
If the PLA filament became brittle due to water absorption and chemical breakdown, heating it will not help.

I live in a dry Climate and have a heated Printer Enclosure, all I need to do is preheat the Enclosure, reinsert the Filament and print.
Has worked on most of the filament that is brittle though not all had to throw an almost empty roll away as it was breaking every 6 inches.
This was in fact a real tightly wrapped smaller filament roll. Have sense only bought the larger Filament rolls.
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

Water absorption is unlikely since I also have a fairly dry climate here and the spool was stored most of the time in a sealed bag with drying bags.

We have a food dryer. I need to check if that one has a fairly stable temperature regulation and could be used. I think that would be a more efficient way to heat it for a day then the heated bed of the UM2.
gr5
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): umo um2 um3

Post by gr5 »

90% of the time when I have brittle filament - it is only the outer meter or so. Try throwing away a meter or two and see if the rest of the filament is fine. For some reason straightening the filament (removing it from the spool) for several days causes it to be brittle. The filament still on the spool (and exposed to humidity, air, whatever) seems fine.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

That's a good idea. I have some Ultimaker brand PLA that's getting chewed up badly in the extruder, making a real mess. I hadn't had any issues previously with other filaments....I still want to replace the Bowden and TFT since there's a few hundred hours on those. But I really wonder why that PLA is having such an awful time (3 different colors, same Ultimaker brand PLA)
William
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): i have to many to meantion

Post by William »

yeah it is totaly possible by keeping in a dry place or by drying your filament with a dehydrator or you can make your own filament dehydrator

here is a link for a diy filament dryer
https://www.inov3d.net/dehydrator-filament-dryer/

and a link for a real product
https://www.inov3d.net/sunlu-filament-d ... filadryer/

this one im still reviewing and so far its good

Return to “PLA Filament General Discussion”