Has anyone used nGen_FLEX yet?

Discussion of brand name filaments (ColorFabb Brand, NinjaFlex, Taulman, etc.)
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Has anyone used nGen_FLEX yet?

Post by LePaul »

Anyone use it? Like? Dislike?
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Has anyone used nGen_FLEX yet?

Post by Izzy »

I had a small sample and it was quite nice a bit like polymaker poly Flex, I dint have enough of a sample to do a full set of test pieces though.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I wish they made it in white. I'll have to use Ninjaflex SemiFlex
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

I tried it yesterday as I need to print some tyres...and 3DVerkstan had a clear-out sale so I got it for 50% :)

The testprints came out ridiculously strong and nice...but so far I have not been able to successfully get it to stick to the bed. So it looks like I need to go shopping for some BuildTak as per ColorFabb's recommendation. Unless someone has another trick up their sleeve? :P
Xeno
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker original enlarged

Post by Xeno »

I used 80c for the bed with 3Dlac spray and it kept it stuck,
I did not print big parts just some tests with their samples.
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Ok, I tried with different temps between 75C to 90C with hairspray everytime (that works for ApolloX and PLA) without luck. I started ok but after a couple of layers it always came loose :(
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

(answer to @Neotko in this thread just to keep it in the context of nGen Flex :) )

I tried hairspray+window washer that I applied with not too much force though. I finally found a hairspray that seems to work ok, at least for ApolloX and GreenTec with right bed temps.

When I apply it I spray some window washer on paper, then some hairspray and I spread that out on the buildplate where I know the print will be. I do not rub it in hard like you describe.

For nGen Flex when I tried different bed temps from 75-90C the print always came loose after maybe the 3rd-8th layer. But I found a thread here where @Izzy mentioned that he had the same problem until he lowered the temp to 60C. Which is way lower than what Colorfabb recommends, although they say it is in combination with BuildTak. So i'm tempted to try his way to see if it helps as it would be nice to avoid buying a separate build surface just for this filament.

Ideally I would have selected a different flexible filament...but 3DVerkstan had a clear-out sale to it was one of the filaments that was on 50% sale...and black :)
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

I was trying to find where I noted the settings I used, I haveas my preferred settings,
Nozzle temperature 245'C, bed temperature 60'C, print speed 45mm/s, I did use fans at 40%, normal retractions, and I used normal glue for bed adhesion, I only had a very small sample and only started to get good prints when it stuck to the bed at 60'C.
It did retain its heat a little so might need to increase minimum layer time for smaller bits of a print.
I was after a decent sample length before completing my testing of this filament but I found it similar to polymakers polyFlex, although polyflex was easier to print with.
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

I'm trying to print pretty large pieces, currently the front tires for the OpenRC Tractor.

It looked promising with 60C bed and 250C nozzle, 0.15mm and 45-50mm/s, little to no fans. But after 7 layers it started to come loose.

Will try the glue stick also but if that fails I guess I have to go for BuildTak. I can live with that for this filament if I can be sure the print sticks. It will be easy to swap build plate when I need to print with this filament.
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

Do you have any PrintaFix? That's benn good too, sometime a little to good 😜
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

I think I have a sample left of that, might try that first :)
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Didn't have any more success with PrintaFix. So today I will try to get some BuildTak as I don't feel like experimenting anymore. Jr wants his tires :)
With BuildTak, according to ColorFabb, I should have a decent chance to get it to stick :P

NB: I really like ColorFabb's filaments when it comes to diameter accuracy. All rolls I have tried from them have been pretty much 2.85 and consistent all the way...which is more than I can say about some other brands I have tried.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

@nilrog How is the bed adhesion. I mean... Does it pop off completely, or starts to curve like greentec? You have the Bed PID enabled I assume (using Amedee firmware) ?

Just shooting spaguetti to the wall to see what sticks.

Maybe you could try the custom brims trick to force the bed adhesion?

nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Neotko wrote: June 16th, 2017, 4:04 am @nilrog How is the bed adhesion. I mean... Does it pop off completely, or starts to curve like greentec? You have the Bed PID enabled I assume (using Amedee firmware) ?
It starts to curve up after a while like greentec...but even more aggressively...at most I think I got into layer 8 or so before it started to come off. Some tests it started already on layer 2-3.
And yes, i'm pretty sure I enabled Bed PID when I built the FW. Its a custom build...but I used Amedee's builder on my local server to do it.

This is the object i'm trying to print...it's roughly 8cm in diameter...so minimum layer time should not be an issue. I'm using as little fan as possible, or no fan, to get good layer adhesion and that part seems to be ok. It's just that I can't get it to reliably stick to the bed. And Colorfabb insists that BuildTak should be used.
openrc-front-tire.PNG
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Gave up experimenting and bought a Buildtak sheet following Colorfabb's recommendation. Zero issues with bed adhesion...I had to take the plate off and put it in the oven for a while and gently use a thin kitchen knife to pry the tires off the bed :lol:

Return to “Special brand filaments”