Extruder picking up skirt and ruining print, help!

Discussion of different brands and types of 3D printing filament
hidesertdude
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa MK2S

Extruder picking up skirt and ruining print, help!

Post by hidesertdude »

I just bought some Tianese 1.75mm filament, it has decent reviews so I thought I would give it a try.

Plus with it's cheap price I couldn't say no.

The main problem I am having is when printing with this filament, things like skirts, brims, and circles the filament doesn't fully complete the circumference leaving a tiny gap in each layer (if I am lucky enough to get that far).

What usually happens is the extruder makes the skirt, comes around to either start the print or the brim and because the skirt ring isn't fully closed, the extruder picks up the loose end and takes it with it, ruining the print.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Can someone offer a solution?

Is the filament crap and should stop I wasting my time and buy better filament.

The first thing I noticed with this Tianese filament is that the nozzle and bed have to be hotter then my previous filament (200C instead of 190C and 60C instead of 55C) or else it won't adhere or remain stuck to the bed. But with a 200C nozzle and 60C bed if I am lucky enough to have a print finish, they are stuck on the PEI like glue. I even let a print sit over night and I almost had to take a chisel to it to get it to come off. It left a faint visible stress ring in the PEI.

This also causes major elephant feet on the prints, even if I chamfer the bottom edges.

Other than those "small" issues, the filament once past the first layer prints like a dream and has produced two of the best prints I have made so far.

Unfortunately it has taken me like 20 tries to get these two prints.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any and all help I can get on this issue
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: Extruder picking up skirt and ruining print, help!

Post by GrueMaster »

Skirt or brim, make sure you have at least 2-3 lines width. I find 3 works best.

Return to “Filament and printing material”