Ultimaker Software News, Cura 3, Cura Connect etc.

Talk about your experience with Ultimaker printers
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Ultimaker Software News, Cura 3, Cura Connect etc.

Post by reibuehl »

LePaul wrote: September 27th, 2017, 9:55 am I mean, really, what the heck kind of response is that? ?

How many people design the pieces they print? 1%? 2%?
Sorry that my answer offended you, but I design most of the parts that I print myself or at least modify them myself before printing them!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Again, if it can do it, this would be a good opportunity for a small video tutorial of such "poorly documented" features :)

The program evolves and changes so much, it's hard to discover these things unless you are active on a forum that discusses them.

I just wish Ultimaker would observe how S3D does things in regards to supporting/educating it's users. That's all. Just a small wish!
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

reibuehl wrote: September 27th, 2017, 10:12 am
Sorry that my answer offended you, but I design most of the parts that I print myself or at least modify them myself before printing them!
Ha, no, not offend....mostly surprised.

It kind of struck me as someone citing a problem with their car and the mechanic asking them to go build their own :)
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

reibuehl wrote: September 27th, 2017, 10:12 am
LePaul wrote: September 27th, 2017, 9:55 am I mean, really, what the heck kind of response is that? ?

How many people design the pieces they print? 1%? 2%?
Same here. And if the file it’s from other guy Injust open it and design my supports if the design needs something custom. Ofc not gonna talk about s3d. But making supports on any 3d software it’s quite easy if you just read any of the posts about how to make supports that for example IRobertI made years ago explaining his feeder supports.

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/38 ... m-supports

Editing a stl to add supports its indeed time consuming, but not impossible by any mean. Cura has that antimesh complex system. But again, you just need to design boxes of areas where you don’t need support and export a stl. Merge both and select the antimesh

And about the UI. Still not good enough.

Basic stuff

- List of objects to print and be able to select them by list. That’s a basic feature to do complex jobs. Specially if Cura now that has per object settings.
- Different layer heights. That’s something that was a must 2 years ago, and is still important.
- No scrolls, no hidden stuff for advanced mode. Or just call it begginers mode.
- Visual feedback of what will happen. Fusion 360 it’s a good example of how to show what does what
- A better and simple zip system to compact the print jobs. With all settings and machine settings saved. A real print job pack.

And blablablablabla etcetc

Cura keep getting interesting features but they ain’t refined. You can keep filling the bazaar with stuff and hope it works. Better to have specific stuff that works and a gazillion options.

And yada yada blablabla all that I said in the past many times bla bla. Ofc this is because I do production not casual thingiverse prints. I need stuff precise, fast and reliable.
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

I'd say it's important even for a hobbyist.
When/If I use Cura today I use 15.04...that's the one version that is easy to understand.

Just because there is a need for a gazillion options doesn't mean that all have to be easily accessible (and hidden). That's where "preferences" and "machine settings" come into the equation.

Btw @nallath, if the Mac guy on Twitter that asked about the retina issue in 2.7 shows interest in looking at the code. Listen to him...he's a longtime experienced developer of Mac and UI stuff for beginners and experts ;)
gr5
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): umo um2 um3

Post by gr5 »

I do my own support about 70% of the time. It doesn't matter who designed it but usually I'm the designer.

I don't think it's only 1% of people who print their own prints. I guess we all think everyone else is just like ourselves. Which is actually a healthy attitude. I expect it's at least 80% of people like to print their own parts?

The user base is what? hobbyists (some design their own I'll guess 20% but maybe only 1%), students (those teachers by hell better be making them design their own stuff), architects (100% own designs), Industry (100% own designs), prototyping (100% own design), artists (70% own design?).
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well in the realms I follow....prop making...our biggest challenges are getting quality prints and assembly.

More talented minds have done the rendering and model making.

We can throw up all kinds of numbers based on the kind of printing and projects we do.

In the many groups I follow, most are using Simplify3D simply because the supports in Cura are not easy to remove, unable to do the manual placement and so on.

Most try to use Cura, since it is free, but eventually give in and purchase S3D out of frustration. (I can cut/paste a lot of threads...but I know Ultimaker doesn't care and probably doesn't have the resources to respond/address those concerns)

That's the perspective from the large prop making community I fly in.
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

I don't create any support myself...I rely on S3D to do the job...with some manual touches. I'd say it takes care of probably 80% of the cases when I need support without me having to touch it...and the remaining 20% it can handle too. Yes, creating my own support would probably cut down print time and filament waste. But I can live with that.

And once you have tried S3D and its support generation you don't want to go back to Cura. Not to mention several other things that you can do so easily in S3D without being overwhelmed with options.
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

gr5 wrote: September 27th, 2017, 11:53 am I do my own support about 70% of the time. It doesn't matter who designed it but usually I'm the designer.

I don't think it's only 1% of people who print their own prints. I guess we all think everyone else is just like ourselves. Which is actually a healthy attitude. I expect it's at least 80% of people like to print their own parts?

The user base is what? hobbyists (some design their own I'll guess 20% but maybe only 1%), students (those teachers by hell better be making them design their own stuff), architects (100% own designs), Industry (100% own designs), prototyping (100% own design), artists (70% own design?).
I'm sitting at around 90% self-designed prints. Being a notorious perfectionist, I usually have to do everything myself even if there's just that one screw that should have been placed 1 mm more to the right than where that other designer put it :P
(Ok that was a bit exaggerated, but just a bit)

Btw, I'm also still using Cura 15.04.6. Really need to get my hands on S3D some time. I wanted to wait for my own printer to be finished, but at the rate I'm currently progressing, that might never happen at all :P
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

jonnybischof wrote: September 29th, 2017, 3:46 am
I'm sitting at around 90% self-designed prints. Being a notorious perfectionist, I usually have to do everything myself even if there's just that one screw that should have been placed 1 mm more to the right than where that other designer put it :P
(Ok that was a bit exaggerated, but just a bit)
I would have to say that I to definitely am a perfectionist.

As I designed four versions of the Same 3D Printer " Controller Case Snap-on Cover " because It was not right.
it was off to the side, it was too low, now I can see it does not snap together tightly leaving a 1/2 mm gap
along the seam, this is driving me crazy so enough said looking at number five.
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Haha, I know the feeling. Perfectionism is the engineer's bane...

I finally got that S3D license. Looks pretty nice so far, but it takes a few prints to get into it I guess.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

@Neotko is the resident S3D genius, he's tweaked and made some really nice prints on his UMO+ machines.

I'm still dialing it in for my printers and it's just so much easier to find settings and adjust.

It also loads so much quicker than Cura.
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

LePaul wrote: October 2nd, 2017, 9:42 am It also loads so much quicker than Cura.
Workin on it, workin on it! 3.0 is already starting up faster. There are going to be some fundamental changes how loading is handled which should increase it even further.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Probably asking a lot, but any chance of a Linux install package (deb/rpm)? Even just a tarball that can be plunked into /opt. Makes it much easier to integrate with the desktop.

Mainly a lazy ask. I have the git trees cloned, and I can build it myself, including shiny packaging for either flavor. But I do that type of stuff at work (50+ hours).
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

We have appimages for Linux. We switched away from .deb as it was a nightmare to maintain.
Thopiekar has a unbutu PPA, but it's not as stable as the appimage.

Return to “General Discussion”