Is there an ideal airflow for a part cooling fan?

Talk about your experience with Ultimaker printers
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Is there an ideal airflow for a part cooling fan?

Post by LePaul »

With so many shrouds out there on the different printers...and I certainly don''t have an Anemometer to compare....but for the scientifically minded...is there a range that's ideal? Just curious!
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Re: Is there an ideal airflow for a part cooling fan?

Post by Neotko »

I think Gudo fan (same airflow UM uses but they use it the 5v version on the um3) or the embpast 414H is the minimum to make almost anything on pla.

Um2/um2+ fans are ok if you print slow ofc.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I've begun to notice Colorfabb PLA/PHA (and their economy versions) suggest a bit less fan, unless where there are a lot of overhangs and details.

The last 12 parts I printed with PLA/PHA over the weekend, I opted to print at 216C but lower the fan to 50% Very strong parts (great adhesion) and since they weren't a complicated shaped part, it came out great (asides the occasional rumbly sound)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

The only issue I ever had with pla/pha is that if the fans go full at layer 2 I need hairspray on the bed so it doesn't loose adhesion. But to be fair I had that also with faberdashery. I never had less/more stronger parts with pla at different temperatures. You could even print pla at 140C (freaking slow).
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

I only slowly increase the fans over the first 5 to 10 mm and due to the geometry of my design of fan ducts I can't remember the last time I needed to go above 50% as they really push it out.
But for adhersion I usually use Hairspray although recently I've been trying PrintaFix which is working really well.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

The best test is, try to print a Benchy (I hate benchys). They need a lot of cooling and very soon. The hardest thing to print on this printers is overhangs near the bed due the bed heat.

Return to “General Discussion”