Here we are!

Talk about your experience with Ultimaker printers
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Here we are!

Post by LePaul »

Here we are...the forum has been up for 5 days!

I'm glad you guys have found the forum!
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Re: Here we are!

Post by Anders Olsson »

Thank you for setting up the forum, LePaul!

Even thought we are only 20 users so far, this forum has led to a major improvement in my motivation to invent things! :)
There are still DNS-issues nighttime in Europe, but apart from that works really well already I would say.

I think lots of people from the old Ultimaker-forum who disappeared when the forum was upgraded would be interested to join here, but it is a bit difficult to announce this forum to people who were inactive for almost a year.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I hope they do.

I was told I am "splitting the community" buy doing this. I don't think that is the case at all. There's plenty of room for other venues to talk about our favorite printers.
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

I assume that the people that told you "you are splitting the community" have @ultimaker.com email addresses and are just afraid that you are splitting the community from their data mining social media ruin that they call a forum. I wouldn't give much on that.
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

No more people are worried. I'm also a bit worried, I just hope this stays on the side/power users/improves the UM forums. If it really were to split the community it would be a bad thing.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

I would say that most of the people who made me visit the old Ultimaker forum seems to have disliked the upgrade to the extent that they are more or less inactive on the current forum.
That part of the community is not that likely to come back to the Ultimaker forum unless there is major change.

So I see this as a new home for that group, who would not have been active at all otherwise, rather than some attempt to split the community.
Very few people at the current Ultimaker forum seems to care about things that I like and that were very popular at the old forum.

And in any case, Ultimaker has sold enough printers to support two communities the size of the old forum I believe, but Ultimaker is not exactly doing what they can to attract all those potential users.
So any "split" of the forum happened long time ago, when the current forum was introduced, I would say.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I know some of the Ultimaker staff I would love to hear from probably won't visit (Daid, etc) I wish they would I really learned a lot from them
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

Actually I think those specific people would love to visit :P Not sure whether they would though, due to policy and stuff.
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

Anders Olsson wrote: I think lots of people from the old Ultimaker-forum who disappeared when the forum was upgraded would be interested to join here, but it is a bit difficult to announce this forum to people who were inactive for almost a year.
I am one of them, and the news didn't took too long to reach me ;-)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Amedee wrote:
Anders Olsson wrote: I think lots of people from the old Ultimaker-forum who disappeared when the forum was upgraded would be interested to join here, but it is a bit difficult to announce this forum to people who were inactive for almost a year.
I am one of them, and the news didn't took too long to reach me ;-)
And welcome! I hope Ultimaker staff isn't angry with us ?
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

Thank you!

And, from my side it does not make any difference. Since they decided to go for that community thing, I am only visiting their site when someone quotes me in a post, and I will continue to do so...

I see a lot of forums moving into 'something else' because they see erosion coming for social medias -- which to some extend is true, but that does not mean forums should disappear.

To their defense, I am an old fart; I just gave up on my old vt220 green terminal, so don't take my forum away :roll:
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

Amedee wrote:And, from my side it does not make any difference. Since they decided to go for that community thing, I am only visiting their site when someone quotes me in a post, and I will continue to do so...
That was exactly the reply I wanted to hear :) So this forum is not about "stealing" users from the Ultimaker forum, but about creating a new home for users who are not very active at the Ultimaker forum anyway because they don't like how it developed!
LePaul wrote:I hope Ultimaker staff isn't angry with us ?
Well, a few of them certainly are for sure.. :roll:
I would say the reaction is a bit irrational though, hopefully they calm down a bit and start seeing the positive sides of this.

I mean: If this forum attracts users which the Ultimaker forum fails to attract and which otherwise would have been inactive, it will increase the total number of posts about Ultimaker at the Internet, which is a positive thing for Ultimaker.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Exactly!

I saw the continuing posts on the Feedback section of unhappy users. I frequent the forums daily, scrolling around looking for new and interesting discussions. Or help where I can. And the content level just keeps dropping

And that search function is awful and should be a priority.

So when I got a "heated" messagel from Ultimaker about splitting the community, I was a bit taken aback.

As Anders points out, this forum...and I am sure other sites elsewhere, show that there are many fans of these printers. And we're just looking for a better medium to share our experiences, learn new things and improve these wonderful devices.

I've also offered to help out on their site, create some tutorials wiki articles and the like. The offer still stands. But I haven't heard a thing. Last I knew they had a staff member or two working on that. The Wiki is long gone in favor of the Tips and Tricks link. It's a start.

I would LIKE to think Ultimaker is happy to see quality conversations going on about their product, even if it isn't on their site.

And that's why the forum is also public...you can read everything without a log-in. We've got nothing to hide. We aren't bashing anyone.

Sure we may disagree, but we do so thoughtfully and welcome other views. :)
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

It just turned out that when I provided some more comprehensive information to certain people regarding the forum situation, things became much easier to understand.
So I am hopeful that things will calm down a bit and in the end turn out in a good way.

I wish I could cite some things from that email by the way, but I really have to keep my mouth shut this time :)
chopmeister
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original rev.3

Post by chopmeister »

I have to say I used to enjoy the old, old ultimaker forums, and the UM google group before that, but as it started to get swamped by users, I got a bit lost in all the threads. I preferred it much more when there was just a bunch of people experimenting like crazy with various stuff all eager to make their machines better. The community thing is really not my cup of tea... this is promising though. :)

Return to “General Discussion”