UM2 print head project

Talk about your experience with Ultimaker printers
gudo
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2 Extended

UM2 print head project

Post by gudo »

Hi to all
I joined this forum since May 6th and it's time to post for the first time some ideas .
I introduce myself, I'm a french freelance micro mechanical designer, I started to have a strong interest in 3D printing since the beginning of this year, and inevitably the mechanical part gives me ideas of design changes and various improvements.
From the start I joined the Ultimaker forum and had posted sometimes,but I'm not to much at ease in this, I'll feel more comfortable to exchange freely here because it's not 100% Ultimaker spirit ( I'm a happy Utimaker user but not at 100%) and may be, it will be more objective, this is only my opinion :mrgreen:
Here's the project I've exchanged a few words with Neotko in the Ultimaker forum :

The heat sink seen is in fact an All in 1 part, that would replace the UM stock isolator and the PTFE, the Olsson heat block will be screwed directely on it.
I plan to machine this part in a hight advanced polymer called " Polybenzimidazole " short name " PBI", I have not yet seen somewhere that it is already tested or used for 3D printer :?: :!:
here its spec :

to see this : this worth a try :shock: , so I ordered a small bore 19mmDx 305mm, it's hard to find and very very expensive but I think it's worth it !
I must be patient, have to wait 2 or 3 weeks before receive it.
@ Lepaul , may be you can do some researchs it's a US material : http://www.pbiproducts.com/polymers
When time will arrive, I propose freely, to machine 4 or 5 parts cloning the PTFE sizes for sending for very hard tests to some who want to try.
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Re: UM2 print head project

Post by Meduza »

I have suggested PBI as a alternative to make more durable couplers than the PTFE one on the UM2 before, but i do not belive that it was ever tried...

I like your design with the blower fans :-)
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Hi Meduza
Thanks !
Happy to know that you have suggested before, I'm pretty sure that would be a very durable coupler alternative, especialy for the hight temp and long time printed works. To have sure each time quality prints must pay the price !
Can't wait for testing the PIB !
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Welcome!
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

gudo: it all comes down to if it has low friction enough against melted PLA, that is the largest issue with most alternative materials which has kept the coupler to be made in in the fluoropolymer family of plastics so far.

How are you planning to make the fan shroud?
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Meduza ; yes you're right,for most materials I think there will be no worries, what I fear most is just how the PLA will behave.
PBI has several shades including a very low friction, the problem will be able to procure it.
Meanwhile I already started to print several fan shroud prototypes which one specific to the stock UM2 for testing the 35x35-12VDC centrifugal fan, I just test it this evening, the blow is fantastic and it is very quiet with no vibration, tomorrow I'll start some prototype prints. for this moment I mainly print with PLA Polymax

I'll share STL and STEP files when all will OK

Here the XY print head with one of the fan shroud prototypes in waiting the PBI
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

One think that I lov of your design it's that all seems modular and very accessible.
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Hi Neotko
Thanks ! It's my spirit, the most difficult is to do simple, and that does not mean that is not effective ;-)
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

:-D Looks great, nice design, will watch with interest
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Hi to all
Thanks Izzy !
Today I tested the centrifugal fans by printing a second fan shroud.(3 hours print time at 0.4 nozzle,40mm speed & 0.1 layers, with Polymax material)
These fans are really effective and quiet, I had to down power at 70% vs 100% before, Neotko ! no problem for easy blowing a " big candle " :-D
There is a small automatic starting problem, before the stock axial fans start turn at 12/14 % , the centrifugal start turn at 45% then I have to manually down the power to reach the level of the adjusted automatic gradual rise of power. :roll:, something in electronic fans management has to be improved !
For sample, in Cura if adjust the wanted max power at 5mm from the bed, it is there a downside that the fans start turn later ?

Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Ultimaker 2 firmware has a set the power for the um2 fans to start at 20/255 (making 0 = 20). Also it has a 200 millisec kickstart on the firmware. I don't know if tinkergnome firmware allows to change this, but @amedee firmware for umo+ let's you adjust that numbers. Adjusting that values (minimum/maximum and kickstart time) it might be posible to fine tune the speed settings of your fans.

I think I'll start to order your fans, they are quite small, and seems they move more air than the um2 ones, also they are much more compact than my 40x40x20 fans.

Uh 20€ just the delivery, I'll wait :D anyhow I think that's a great fan/solution for more cooling.
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Thanks Neotko for the firmwares informations, as you knowed, I can't play with these now, my printer works enough well at the moment, when all printed prototypes will be done I'll take a serious look on the software side.
I tryed to design for 40x40 fan, it's too large for a good implantation.
20€ delivery uh ! anyhow that will work much better than the stock fans !
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

Neotko wrote: I think I'll start to order your fans, they are quite small, and seems they move more air than the um2 ones, also they are much more compact than my 40x40x20 fans.
Yep, that's the only problem with your 40x40x20 -- they ruined my greenhouse project as they stick out of the frame :roll:
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

It should be easy to adapt that cool fans for umo. Specially since umo hotend it's much longer. But I can't use 60€ on x4 fans (delivery hurts) atm. Specially since I have x4 unused fans for my third and soon fourth umo+. I'm changing all my umo+ to um2 hotend. The quality of the retracts it's clearly superior. Upss sorry went offtopic.
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Hi to all

Sharing the UM2 centrifugal fans duct on Youmagine
https://www.youmagine.com/designs/35x35 ... fan-shroud

Return to “General Discussion”