UM2 print head project

Talk about your experience with Ultimaker printers
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: UM2 print head project

Post by LePaul »

You know, while your shroud is very good, I wonder if these fans being more vertical might offer more clearance (not hitting the side when homing, etc.) for a replacement Ultimaker Original fan/shroud
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Oh indeed! That fans I bet that are great for weight/pushingairwhereitshouldbe. But I would need to see a 0.2 layer print robot at 70mm/s to compare how much better/worse it's.

Anyhow, with my step files and his step files you could frankenmix both and adapt his design to umo. Also I think his clip system it's fantastic.

I don't mind having fans hanging outside since it works and cools fast. But for um2 his sollution it's brilliant and I might do it someday too but so far I'll wait to see print tests.

For um2 I bet it's a huge improvement since um2 fans are quite bad. I always thought they where nice but nah.

Also I focus on fast prints with overhangs. For high quality prints/slow a smaller hotend always helps to keep vibrations/ringing to a minimum.

My fans make a circle area of cooling instead of cooling just where the nozzle it's, because when you print at 50mm/s the nozzle position changes so fast that it's better to cooldown in a circle area, instead of pushing air where the nozzle it's. I did that because even to actually cooldown the stuff that comes from the nozzle you would need a very very powerful air. So I cooldown on the surroundings of the nozzle because the nozzle position changes so fast.

Bw I think his design also does that.
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

I replaced my heatsink fan about a year ago with the Sunon MC25060V2-A99, and enjoyed the quite. Razor had designed a duct for the heatsink fan but had cut his bottom body of the print head to allow the wires through. I remodelled the bottom body and remodelled his duct to better suit my swivelling fan ducts, if anybody is interested the parts etc can be found here.
https://www.youmagine.com/designs/print ... dification
gudo
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2 Extended

Post by gudo »

Hi to all
Today Benchy's test with blue PLA from Form Futura
0.1mmlayers, 0.4mm nozzle, 0.8mm wall, 25%infill, 50mm/s speed, 200°temp, 50°bed temp,75% fans speed
I'm not yet a print expert, i feel that is still too hot even i adjusted at 200° temp :?:
or rise the mm/s speed :?: ....
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

the can metal sheet seems work
near more than 16 h print time in 3days the PLA duct survives except a stable light deformation on the right side
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

Looks a good Benchy print, temperature of 200 looks right, sometimes if you go a little low you loose adhersion between layers, I think your right on the mark with those settings.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I agree. The times I have gone below 200C with PLA I have had some prints show gaps in the layers.
205-210 seems to be the "happy spot" for my PLA printing (ColorFabb pla/pha)
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

I usuall print PLA at 210 with a normal brass nozzle, and 215 with the Ruby nozzle, these give me a good surface finish and good bonding between layers, with my fan ducts I run at 50% of what filament manufactures recommend, purely as my ducts are very efficient so I have to dial them back.

I'm just reprinting 'Roberts' feeder, I had just got back from picking up a Chinese takeaway, checked the print I was doing and heard a bang, quickly saw that the latch had snapped (18 months old, and only done with 20% infill) paused the print and used a small clamp to hold the feeder arm in place, finished the print and then changed to nGen and printed a new latch 100% solid this time, I'm now reprinting the body as well. 8-)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'd be curious how nGen is working out for you (in the appropriate discussion area)... :)
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

gudo wrote:

The heat sink seen is in fact an All in 1 part, that would replace the UM stock isolator and the PTFE, the Olsson heat block will be screwed directely on it.
I plan to machine this part in a hight advanced polymer called " Polybenzimidazole " short name " PBI", I have not yet seen somewhere that it is already tested or used for 3D printer :?: :!:
here its spec :
Hi to all!
A great step forward in my PBI UM2 print head project !
Positive tests with the PBI Celazole isolator coupler replacing the "damn" PTFE coupler, no sticking problems for PLA material extrusion
possibilities now for testing continuous hight temp prints over 300° without life time issues ?!
the way is open to go further...

The new " PBI " print head in waiting to be mounted on the UM2,the stock heat block shown is just for the sample, I have to order a second Olsson block to complete the full assembly

ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Man, thats looks pretty!! What a weitgt difference in comparsion to a stock UM2 and E3D head's?
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

ivan.akapulko wrote:Man, thats looks pretty!! What a weitgt difference in comparsion to a stock UM2 and E3D head's?
Hi Ivan !
Thanks ! I have not yet verified the total weight, as you can see on the picture , it weighs 45 grammes,
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

the all in 1 Pbi Isolator weighs 6 grs.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

All i can say: