Best speed and temps?

Talk about your experience with Ultimaker printers
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Best speed and temps?

Post by LePaul »

I recall hotter and faster
And slower and cooler

I'm curious, with PLA (ColorFabb) what you guys have had good results with at 50 mm/sec (default setting in Cura)

I'm doing a print now and want to see what 205-210 does
PeggyB
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMOriginal - UM2Go

Re: Best speed and temps?

Post by PeggyB »

both are right!
faster means more heat to get the filament melted in time
slower/cooler is for the more detailed parts like overhangs
Totally depends on the model.. usually set a default and dial it faster or slower if needed as the print progresses (have to be around though)
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Re: Best speed and temps?

Post by jonnybischof »

I usually print hot AND slow, because I want strong parts and don't have much detail..

I'd love to see someone trying to put this situation into a physical (mathematical) approximation.

I'm not that good with numbers, but in the end it comes down to the fact that extruding thermoplastic is "just" the feat of "transferring the optimal amount of thermal energy into a certain volume of plastic per a defined time".

The physical model here is not that complex. You have a source of electrical energy that can be translated into thermal energy. Then you have a series of thermal resistances (which may, or may not be known. But should be possible to determine by measurement) and a known volume per time (volumetric flow) of a plastic with (hopefully) known properties.

There are some barriers though, and that is for example the fact that different printers may have rather large differences in temperature measurement accuracy.

Return to “General Discussion”